While winter weather seems like it’s already been going on for far too long, its impact on our heating bill is only beginning. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly decrease those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and increasing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to allow sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Installing a programmable thermostat so that you can more precisely control the temperature in your home, which will also enhance energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to confirm your shingles are intact, and that there aren’t holes or cracks that will need to be sealed.
Trying to keep your energy bills down and energy efficiency up, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions about the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a call at 319-208-3295. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Cedar Rapids weather.