Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how often your air filter has been swapped out, to name a handful—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Ilten's Incorporated in Cedar Rapids about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the period of time between expert cleanings.
Mostly importantly, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Ilten's Incorporated. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running efficiently, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Ilten's Incorporated about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters regularly and exchanging them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will present dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not need changing.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that let dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Cedar Rapids home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Ilten's Incorporated a call at 319-208-3295.