Call it Murphy’s Law, or maybe just a little bad luck, but we sometimes see heat pump problems in Cedar Rapids during the cooler months, when they’re necessary to keep you toasty. While you know the team at Ilten's Incorporated will forever be there ASAP when you ask for us for a heat pump repair, there are some things you can do to double check a repair is necessary and save yourself some money if it’s not. We’ve compiled this checklist of things to attempt before you give us a call.
- It may sound silly, but make sure everything is turned “on”. We’ve been to more than a few calls only to find the thermostat or the heat pump itself is switched off.
If the heat pump still hasn’t switched on, go back to your thermostat.
- Is the thermostat turned to heat? If yes, increase the temperature by five degrees to see if it kicks on.
- If everything looks correct, inspect your heat pump switch (if it has one) and check the fuses and circuit breaker that guard the extra heating element (if it has one).
Is an obstruction causing your heat pump to fail?
- Try replacing the battery, if it has one.
- Examine your air filters inside your air handler to confirm they’re not clogging things up.
- Are your room heating registers open and unobstructed?
If you’ve worked through this checklist and you still need a heat pump maintenance check, call Ilten's Incorporated at 319-208-3295 and we’ll get your home back to the toasty and cozy place you expect this time of year.