Whether you enjoy winter or prefer the warmer months in Cedar Rapids, most of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it should be replaced. We recommend at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can set temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The professionals at Ilten's Incorporated can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Ilten's Incorporated in Cedar Rapids a call to start down the right path. Contact our team at 319-208-3295 or book an appointment with us online.